Up (parent)

History of Mortimer Hall

Mortimer Hall, the village Community Centre, is sited on land owned by the Parish Council but the building was built by public subscription. It is run on a day to day basis by a Management Committee who all live in the area and are elected on a yearly basis.


Mortimer Hall is named after the Reverend John Hamilton Mortimer who was the vicar of Marston from 1904 to 1951. He was much loved by the community and played a significant part in establishing a recreational ground for the village (which was reduced when the Marston Ferry Road was built).


They pay the Parish Council a peppercorn rent of 5p a year for the land and an agreement was signed in 2005 giving a 35 year lease.


For several years the committee have been working towards improving the facilities by providing toilets for the disabled and improving the existing toilets. The roof of the hall also needs replacing and general repairs and upgrading is required. With the small committee this has taken longer than anticipated to achieve.


Activities at the Hall include a Pre-school and St Johns Ambulance use the hall for their youth group, We also have a Dancing School that covers a wide range of styles and an even wider range of ages, and ante-natal yoga class For further details on these activities see the notice-board at the hall.


The Hall is also used by a wide range of organisations including the Parish Council, the Allotment Association and Local and Government elections. The hall is available on Tuesday evenings for local organisations to hold meetings. It is hired out at weekends for children's parties -there is special rate on Sunday afternoons of £30 (maximum 30 guests). The hall is also available for adult parties. If you are interested in hiring the Hall, contact Chris Crane on 727995.


Finally if you want to get involved with the Hall come and join the Hall Committee, we are always looking for volunteers to spread the work around. E-mail at bookings@mortimerhall.co.uk.


In the mid-1980s the hall had fallen into a poor state of repair. Many local residents rallied around and raised funds for its refurbishment.

For more information about Mortimer Hall just go to their website:


www.mortimerhall.co.uk


We have several galleries of Mortimer Hall pictures:

1962; 1986; fundraising events; post refurbishment; re-opening; activities 1989; 2009; parking 1980s by the hall


Links to Other History Pages

History and Timeline of Marston; Geography of Old Marston; Archive News and Links; Maps; Street Names - the origin and meaning behind the names of Marston’s streets; St Nicholas Parish Church; Marston School History; History of Parish Council, Old Marston Charities Trust History; Old Marston Library Archives; Highways, Transport, Traffic and Parking; Medieval Marston; 1500s in Old Marston; 1600s in Old Marston; 1700s in Old Marston; 1800s in Old Marston; 1900s in Old Marston; Bell Ringers; Mill Lane Allotments; Mortimer Hall History; Planning and Development Archives; Other History Links.