Home About Us Documents Accounts Local Archives Pictures

Old Marston Parish Council

Street and Place Names in Old Marston

Below is a list of all the local streets and roads in Marston and some nearby ones. There are still some gaps. Some names have more than one possible origin, and some have uncertain origins and can only be guessed at..


Marston - believed to originate from the Anglo-Saxon word Mershtun meaning Marsh Town


River Thames - known as Tamesis in 51BC

River Cherwell - known as Ceruelle in AD 904


Origin of Name

Old Marston

Arlington Drive

Henry Bennet, first earl of Arlington (bap. 1618, d. 1685) entered the service of George, Lord Digby, secretary of state to Charles I, in 1643

Ashlong Road

Local medieval field called Ass Long Furlong in 1605,  Ashlong Furlong in 1613 and given name in 1940.

Barns Hay

Named by Myra Haynes when farmyard at Cross Farm was sold

Beechy Avenue

Named after the Beech hedge that was at the end fof the lane that has now been built upon

Boults Close

Named after the farm at the end of Boult’s Lane, farmed by the Haynes family. Was originally spelt ‘Bolts Lane’.

Boults Lane

Named after the farm at the end of Boult’s Lane, farmed by the Haynes family

Broughtons Close

The Broughton family farmed Court Place Farm - named 1970s

Cannons Field

The Cannon family farmed in Marston in the nineteenth century

Cavendish Drive

Charles Cavendish (1620–1643), royalist army officer

Cherwell Drive

Named after the River Cherwell that flows nearby. Cherwell has a celtic origin. ‘Cher’ has uncertain origins, ‘well’ means ‘stream’. In 681 AD spelt Ceruelle, in 864 Cearwellan and in 1221-6 named Cherlewelle. Street named officially in June 1947.

Church Lane

Road runs alongside the church

Clays Close

After local field spelt Great & Little Clay Close in 1840

Cotswold Crescent

Named after the Cotswold Hills on the suggestion of the Estate Developer

Cromwell Close

Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), lord protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland. Came to meet Fairfax and discuss siege tactics at the Manor House (now 15/17 Mill Lane), Marston. He also observed the movements in Royalist Oxford from the church tower.

Cumberlege Close

The Revd. H.A. Cumberlege was Vicar of Marston 1899–1904

Dents Close

Named after Doreen Dent who married Oliver Haynes

Elms Drive

After graceful local elms before Dutch Elms disease massacred so many

Elsfield Road

After Elsfield village where road origionally led. Means ‘Elesa’s Land from the Wood’, spelt Esefelde in 1086, Elshfyld in 1232 and Elsfeld in 1335. Street named 1955.

Ewin Close

Fairfax Avenue

Thomas Fairfax, third Lord Fairfax of Cameron (1612–1671), a Parliamentarian who besieged Oxford and had his headquarters at Marston. Street named 1935.

Fane Road

Mildmay Fane, second earl of Westmorland (1602–1666), a Royalist who turned Parliamentarian. Also John Fane, died 1824, MP of Oxford for 8 successive parliaments.

Gordon Close

Revd Richard Gordon (1804–77), Vicar of Marston from 1849

Harlow Way

Professor Vincent Harlow, who lived at 14 Oxford Road

Haynes Road

The Haynes family owned Cross Farm, named after Thomas Murray Haynes, died 1974 - lifelong resident of Old Marston and a building worker.

Horseman Close

Name of local family. Means ‘horse way’ from local old field spelt The Horseleys in 1557, Horse Leas in 1605 Horse Leys in c1840

Jessops Close

After local field

Lewell Avenue

Little Acreage

After the large house that stood here and was later demolished.

Lodge Close

Named after Olive Lodge, one of the first women to be made a Deaconess (at Marston on 1 November 1972)

Marsh Lane

Means ‘Marshy Lane’, similar derivation to nearby village of Marston. Spelt ‘The Mershe Dyche’ in 1550, ‘The Common Marshe’ and ‘Marshe Dich Furlong’ both in 1605. Street named in 1940.

Mill Lane

Named after the water mill that probably stood near to where Sescut Farm now stands. It became two roads when the by-pass was built.

Mortimer Drive

The Revd J.H. Mortimer was Vicar of Marston 1905–1951, famous for playing hymn on church bells each night.

Nicholas Avenue

Sir Edward Nicholas (1593–1669), Secretary-of-State to Charles I

Oxford Road

Once old road from Oxford to Marston, now just from Old Marston to Old Marston Road.

Park Way

Ponds Lane

Named after the ponds which used to surround the church, and the streams which ran along the sides of this lane

Raymund Road

Raymund Haynes, who lived and farmed at Cross Farm, Old Marston for many years during the 19th/20th centuries

Rimmer Close

The Revd Paul Rimmer was Vicar of Marston from 1959 to 1990

Rippington Drive

The Rippingtons were the biggest landowners in Marston in the nineteenth century


Named after family of bakers who live in Marston during 17th century

Salford Road

Unknown origin. The word Salford possibly comes from ‘Salt Ford’ which is probably a crossing across a stream, and possibly along a trade route for salt


Originally Succroft, a local field

St Nicholas Park

Unknown, possibly after parish church which is nearby.

The Butts

A shooting range, originally for arrows and later for guns, especially during the Civil War

The Link

Road linking North and South parts of Carter Estate

Wards Mobile Home Park

Named after the family that own the site

Windsor Crescent

Believed to have been named after the Windsor fish and chip shop in Cherwell Drive

New Marston

Croft Close

Named after house called the Croft, which became Milham Ford girls school. It was built by Alfred Waterhouse in nearby Pullens Lane.

Croft Road

Named after house called the Croft, which became Milham Ford girls school. It was built by Alfred Waterhouse in nearby Pullens Lane. Street named 1936

Edgeway Road

After old way along the edge of the River Cherwell. Street named 1930

Farmer Place

John Farmer (1835–1901), Organist at Balliol College. Named 1939

Ferry Lane

Led to Cherwell punt ferry from Marston to Holywell. Named 1890-1

Ferry Road

Led to Cherwell punt ferry from Marston to Holywell. Named 1930

Harberton Mead

Possibly after local Harberton House. Street named 1938 and officially October 1960. As a private road was Harberton Road in c1944 and officially  January 1949

Hayes Close

William Hayes (c.1708–1777), Professor of Music at Oxford 1742 to 1777, and his son Philip Hayes (bap. 1738, d. 1797), Professor from 1777

Heather Place

William Heather (c.1563–1627), founder of the Heather Professorship of Music at Oxford. Named in 1937

Hugh Allen Crescent

Sir Hugh Percy Allen (1869–1946), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1918 to 1946. Named 1938.

John Garne Way

Marston Road

Named after Marston village. Means ‘village on marshy ground’ spelt Mersce in 1050, Mersttune in c1069 and Mershetona in 1402. Street named c1874.

Moody Road

The Revd. Nicholas James Moody was Rector of St Clement’s Church from 1821 to 1858. Officially named 1860.

Nicholson Road

Richard Nicholson (bap. 1563, d. 1638/9), Choirmaster and Organist at Magdalen College, First Oxford Professor of Music 1626-39. Street named c1948

Old Marston Road

After route to Old Marston. Named in 1955

Ouseley Close

Sir Frederick Arthur Gore Ouseley, second baronet (1825–1889), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1855 to 1889. Named 1936

Parry Close

Sir (Charles) Hubert Hastings Parry (1848–1918), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1900 to 1908

Peacock Road

Named November 1960

Prichard Road

Named November 1960

Purcell Road

Daniel Purcell (c.1670–1717), Organist at Magdalen College

Stainer Place

Sir John Stainer (1840–1901), Professor of Music at Oxford from 1889 to 1900. Named 1936

Taverner Place

John Taverner (c.1490–1545), Organist at Christ Church. Named 1937

Weldon Road

John Weldon (1676/7–1736), Organist at New College. Officially named 1948

Westrup Close

Sir Jack Allan Westrup (1904–1975), Professor of Music at Oxford

William Street

Possibly connected to King’s Mill (on east side of Cherwell nearby). Named c1878

Nearby Streets

Colterne Close

Means ‘colts corner’. Named after local field spelt Colterne Fielde in 1605, Colthorne Field in 1710 and Little and Great Colton Hills in c1840. Street named in 1940

Copse Lane

After local small wood or spinney. Street named in 1935 and officially in March 1950

Crotch Crescent

After Dr William Crotch (1775-1848), university professor of Music 1797-1847, and organsist at Christ Church 1790-c1807. Regarded as the highest musical authority of the age. Street named 1937.

Hadow Road

After Miss G.E. Hadow (1875-1940), student of Somerville 1900-3, Tutor at Lady Margaret Hall 1906-11, Principle and Vice-Principle of Women’s/Student Societies 1928-40. Street named 1939 when spelt Huddow Road.

Headley Way

Means ‘Way to Hedena’s Clearing’ or Headington. Spelt Hedleye in 1605, Head Leys in c1840. Street named 1938.

Lynn Close

After suggestion by Estate Develpers N. Beake Ltd. Officially named 1966

Marston Ferry Road

A new link road (finished 1976) named after line-punt ferry 200 yards to North below Victoria Arms, across River Cherwell. Western section was a lane in 1832. Became Marston Ferry Road in 1905.

Pullens Lane

After Dr Josiah Pullen, who died 1714 and planted a tree in 17th century in lane to commemorate his favourite walk from Magdalen to Headington Hill. He went twice a day each journey taking half an hour. He was also vicar of St Peter-in-the-East. The tree became a famous landmark to travellers. Spelt Pullens Tree in 1797 and Joe Pullens Tree in 1805. Street named 1930

Sources of Information

Stephanie Jenkins


Paul J. Marriott

Oxford Street Names Explained, ISBN 0 9505730 1 9